Cedar Grove AME Zion Church
Established in 1908, Cedar Grove AME Zion Church is known for its Gospel Choir and annual picnic. The picnic is held on the fourth Saturday in August with fish still fried in cast iron pans. It’s a 100-year tradition.
Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church was established in 1754. The church campus includes the 1826-1827 gable front vernacular Gothic Revival and American Craftsman-style brick veneered, heavy timber-frame chapel; a 1926 Craftsman-style parish house attached to the original building by an open brick arcade breezeway; and a historic cemetery. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Cleveland First Baptist Church
Originally established in March of 1886 as Third Creek Baptist Church, the name was changed to First Baptist Church in March 1887. The original church burned in May of 1914 after being struck by lightning. In January of 1923, the new sanctuary was built. In April of 1968, the current church was dedicated. In 1994, the church was incorporated, and the name was changed to Cleveland First Baptist Church.
The Cleveland First Baptist Church stages a live drive-through nativity scene during the Christmas season.
200 Maple St. | Cleveland, NC 27013
Cleveland Presbyterian Church
Cleveland Presbyterian Church was established in1890. It is understood that Mr. C. M. Roseboro who built the church gained the triangular design concept with cathedral windows from a church in New York City.
The unique design of the Cleveland Presbyterian Church is both a community landmark and one of the most photographed in town.
101 Maple St. | Cleveland, NC 27013
Cornerstone Baptist Church
Cornerstone Baptist Church began in September of 1993 with just a few families. Now entering the second 20 years, “We are excited that God is preparing to build off the foundation of our first 20 years. We are a community of people who desire to become mature and ministering worshipers of God.” Cornerstone Baptist Church provides multiple programs for all ages and a community ball field.
Third Creek Presbyterian Church
Third Creek Presbyterian Church is a historic church and cemetery built in 1835; however, the congregation dates to 1751. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The grave site, a brick box with glass for viewing, is believed to be of French military commander, Marshal Michel Ney, who served in Napoleon Bonaparte’s Army during the Napoleonic Wars. He is believed to have lived in Cleveland as the town’s schoolteacher, using the name Peer Stuart Ney.
History: Historic Third Creek Presbyterian by John Kerr Fleming
PLEASE NOTE: The site is currently under development. Photos for all churches will be added soon.
This site contains information and content supplied by third parties. Information contained herein regarding any specific person, business, commercial product process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by The Town of Cleveland NC, its Board of Commissioners, or employees.